If you’re used to the peace and quiet of your morning commute, then strange car noises are an alarming development. And while car grinding and squealing noises might send you into a panic, it’s important to take a moment to listen closely. These strange car noises can be a huge clue while diagnosing problems under the hood. From frayed belts to worn brakes to tire troubles, we’ve assembled a brief guide to point you in the right direction.
Squeaks and Squeals
Notice a high-pitched sound coming from the vehicle? These squeaks and squeals can indicate several problems, so pay attention to when you notice the noise.
- Belts: If you hear a squeal when you shut down the engine, then your belt may be damaged. You might need a replacement or just a simple readjustment.
- Brakes: Squealing brakes indicate overly worn brake pads. Be sure to stick to your scheduled maintenance to ensure that your brakes stay in top condition.
- Bearings: If you hear a whining sound during corners, your wheel bearings may need some work. A fresh set can bring the life back into your vehicle.
Car Grinding and Rumbles
A high-pitched squeal is hard to miss, but sometimes strange car noises are a bit more subtle. See if any of these noises sound familiar!
- Exhaust and Muffler: Notice a rumble toward the back of the car? This is often an issue with your exhaust system, but it could be the catalytic converter. Best to schedule an appointment to get your car on a hoist immediately!
- Suspension System: If your car lets out a clunk when you hit a speed bump, it’s time to get that suspension system in line. It might be an issue with the shock absorbers.
- Tires and Wheels: A rhythmic ticking might mean your tires and wheels need some work. The issue could be anything from low air pressure to an unbalanced set.
Schedule Your Service Today!
If you’re fed up with strange car noises, then schedule your service with Bowman Chevy today. We’re located in Clarkston, near Detroit and Waterford, and we’d be happy to bring your car back to peak performance. Still have questions? Contact us online at any time!