Busy drivers sometimes wonder, “Why take a car test drive before you buy?” After all, many drivers think they know exactly what they want when they step onto the lot. But, you may be surprised when you’re behind the wheel! At Bowman Chevy, we have a few tips and tricks to make sure that you get the most out of your new car test drive – and find the perfect car for you!
Planning Your New Car Test Drive
By doing a little prep work ahead of time, you can save time at the dealership and get a better sense of what each vehicle brings to the table.
- Research your options extensively and create a short list of your potential options. Don’t forget to consider your trade-in vehicle when setting your budget!
- Plan a day to devote to test drives. You’ll want to compare each vehicle back-to-back, so you can spot the subtle differences between each model.
- Try to bring a friend or family member along to catch things that you might miss. Plus, they can check out the passenger accommodations while you’re in the driver’s seat!
- Consider checking out your top two vehicles in a nighttime test drive to evaluate the headlights and cabin illumination.
Getting Behind the Wheel
When you get to the dealership, let your sales rep know which vehicles are on your mind to streamline the process. They might even recommend models that you may have missed. After the keys are in your hand, take note of the following areas:
- Comfort: How do the seats feel? Do you have enough space?
- Technology: Can you sync your smartphone with the tech options onboard?
- Performance: Do you feel comfortable on both city roads and highways? Try to park. Can you navigate easily?
- Visibility: Can you see in every direction without strain? How is the blind spot?
- Noise: Do you hear tons of road noise and wind noise, or is the cabin quiet?
Make some notes so you can compare each vehicle when you’re done for the day.
The Next Steps
Now that you know how to test drive a car and you’ve found the right model, what’s next? Find out what to do after buying a car with Bowman Chevy in Clarkston, near Detroit and Waterford. Still have questions? Contact us at any time!