Did you know motor oil is considered the lifeblood of your vehicle? It’s crucial that there’s the right amount of oil at all times to protect the engine’s internal moving parts. Visit the service center at Bowman Chevy in Clarkston to learn more about the importance of your car’s oil.
Learn How to Check the Oil Level in Your Car
New vehicles have electronic oil monitors that don’t use the dipsticks most people are used to, so begin by looking at your owner’s manual for recommendations.
If you are checking the oil manually, follow these steps:
- Park your vehicle on level ground and make sure the engine is turned off but warm – drive it a bit first.
- Open the vehicle’s hood and locate the dipstick.
- Pull the dipstick out of the engine and wipe any oil from the end of it.
- Re-insert the dipstick all the way back into its tube, then pull it out and check the level.
Dipsticks will have a way of showing the correct oil level. If the top of your oil streak is between the two marks or within a cross-hatched area, you’re good. If not, you need more oil.
Refer to the owner’s manual about which oil grade to purchase, then remove the oil filler cap, and add oil a little at a time until you’ve reached the correct level.
Learn More About Checking Your Oil at Bowman Chevy
If you get stuck and need assistance, visit the service department at Bowman Chevy near Waterford, and we’ll take care of you. Contact us today with any questions about your car’s maintenance, if you have unbalanced tires, or to schedule a service appointment. Browse our current service specials and save on your next appointment!
Today’s vehicles are packed with enhanced technology to keep you safe, offering extra layers of protection during your daily Clarkston commute. When comparing the differences between active vs. passive safety features, the biggest difference is when these unique systems come into play. In general, active safety features work to prevent accidents, while passive safety features activate during a collision to protect the driver and passengers.
Active Safety Features
Examples of active safety features include any systems that continuously work to keep your car stable and in control on the road. These features are active because they are always on, and alert you to potential danger without your having to activate them. The Chevrolet lineup includes a wide array of innovative active safety technology that works together to provide you with an extra set of eyes as you drive. You can find these systems actively working in the:
- Brakes – with Front Pedestrian Braking and Forward Automatic Braking, your Chevrolet will detect possible incoming collisions, and automatically apply the brakes before impact
- Cameras – see everything around you thanks to your high-definition Surround Vision camera and rear vision and mirror cameras
- Alerts – never fall victim to a blind spot again with assists from Rear Cross Traffic Alerts, Lane Departure Warnings, Side Blind Zone Alert, and many more
Passive Safety Features
Should the unexpected happen, passive safety features come to the rescue by protecting you and your loved ones during an accident. These features are passive because they are only activated once a collision occurs. The best example of a passive safety feature is your airbag system, which triggers upon impact. Similarly, your seatbelts and the overall construction of your car play a role in keeping all passengers safe during a crash, minimizing the overall impact.
Stay Safe in a New Chevrolet
From the Malibu to the Traverse, the entire Chevrolet lineup was designed to keep everyone on the road safe and protected. If you’re shopping for a safe, reliable vehicle, visit Bowman Chevrolet today to experience all the active and passive safety features that will give you extra peace of mind when you’re behind the wheel. Contact us to get started!
Winter driving can take a toll as you navigate snow, ice, and dangerous storms for months on end. Learning how to protect your car from road salt will help extend the life and performance of your vehicle, and can help you avoid costly repairs in the future. Protect your car from extreme cold, and receive total peace of mind while driving this winter.
What does road salt do to cars?
Road salt is helpful for creating safe driving conditions during winters in Waterford, but it is not a friend to your car. If left to its own devices, salt can lead to rust and corrosion on multiple areas of your vehicle, particularly underneath and near the wheels. The longer salt sits on your car, the more damage it can cause, leading to expensive repairs to the hydraulic brake system, subframe, and more. Not only will it affect the performance of your car, but exterior rust is also an eyesoar, bringing down the value and your overall satisfaction with your ride.
How do I prevent car rust during winter?
To shield your car against harmful winter corrosion, follow these helpful tips:
- Wash your car as frequently as possible to remove salt from the exterior. If available, choose the extra undercarriage wash options to blast away any salt hiding below. Once your car is clean, be sure to open all the doors to let out any accumulated water that could freeze if left alone.
- Be sure to keep your wheels and tires free from chunks of ice, leaves, and any other materials. Salt can collect in these tight spaces, so it’s important to visually inspect them on a regular basis. This applies to your grill as well.
- Check to ensure all floor and frame drainage holes are not blocked and can safely allow any and all moisture to get through.
Protect Your Investment with Bowman Chevrolet
Our service team wants to make sure all our Oakland County clients drive with confidence during winter, and we’re here to help with all the winter driving tips you need. Check out our current service specials to keep your vehicle running at its best for less!
The frigid winters of Detroit and Waterford can be daunting even for the most experienced driver, but our cold weather maintenance tips will ensure that you stay safe all season long. From our favorite winter car accessories to our favorite winterizing services, we’ve got tried-and-true tips that will improve your driving experience tremendously.
Taking Care of Tires
Good tire care is the key to maintaining a safe and secure ride during the snowy months. One of the most important things to check regularly is your air pressure. Cold weather causes your tires to lose pressure quickly, so be sure to grab your gauge every month to double check your inflation. Not sure what your pressure should be? Check inside the door frame or inside your glove box. Now is also a good time to consider shopping for winter tires for extra traction!
Checking Your Components
Winter weather can be tough on your car’s components, so be sure to keep an eye on the following:
- Monitor your windshield for any small cracks. As you turn on the heater, your windshield can flex and make the tiniest cracks grow.
- Watch your wipers. Flip them up in the cold to prevent them from freezing to the windshield, and consider getting a winter set of wipers for ice and snow.
- Check your battery. If it’s been 5 years or longer since your purchase, get a replacement. Dead batteries are a major cause of car trouble in the cold.
Driving Like a Pro
Learning how to winterize your car is only half the battle. It’s also important to learn how to drive carefully in the cold. For example, you should warm up your vehicle before hitting the road, but there’s no need to burn off half a tank of gas. Experts recommend warming up for a few minutes to get the car lubricated and the engine primed. Additionally, be sure to check your gas levels. A full tank will prevent moisture-laden air from freezing and causing issues inside the car.
Get Quality Winterize Car Services at Bowman Chevy
If you’re interested in a few car services to winterize your vehicle before the worst of winter, or to learn how to prevent car theft, contact us at Bowman Chevy in Clarkston. You can even schedule your service online!
The Chevy Silverado has always been known around Detroit for its rugged performance and exceptional utility, and the 2019 Silverado 1500 Durabed brings this popular pickup to an entirely new level. With its best-in-class cargo volume, the Durabed is the largest pickup truck bed on the market. That means that whether you need your new Silverado for work or for play, the latest model can handle all of your equipment and gear with ease. Take a look at the Silverado 1500 specs with Bowman Chevy!
Durabed Truck Bed
For the 2019 model year, Chevy’s team of engineers sought to maximize the utility of the pickup truck bed. The result was the new standard Durabed, constructed with high-strength steel that clocks in at 500 megapascals. Standard features include enlarged cutouts and CornerStep bumpers for better functionality, but this pickup truck bed can also be outfitted with tons of optional features to make your trip a little easier. Add technology like in-bed LED lighting and a 110/120-volt power outlet, or take a look at the Chevy Silverado accessories at the shop for additional customization. Check out how the Durabed compares to the other trucks you might be considering:
||2019 Chevrolet Silverado
||2019 Ford F-Series
||2019 Ram 1500
||63 cubic feet
||53 cubic feet
||54 cubic feet
||72 cubic feet
||62 cubic feet
||62 cubic feet
||89 cubic feet
||77 cubic feet
Chevy Silverado Specs
So the Durabed pickup bed is stronger and larger than ever, but how does it function on a day-to-day basis? This truck bed is packed with utility, along with plenty of room for personalization. Here are some of the new features that you can expect from the 2019 Chevy Silverado specs:
- The Silverado offers 12 fixed tie-downs that can handle 500 pounds of force – twice as much as before!
- Nine additional movable tie-down points bring the total to 21 tie-downs available.
- Take your pick of four different tailgate variants to best suit your needs: standard gate, standard gate with lift assist, power lock/release, and the industry-exclusive power-up/down.
Explore the Silverado Lineup at Bowman Chevy
The 2019 Silverado 1500 Durabed is the talk of the town in Clarkston and Waterford, so why not take a look for yourself at Bowman Chevy? If you have any questions about what accessories we offer or details about the Silverado’s towing capabilities, and how it compares to other pickup trucks, please contact us!